Hamster in the classroom?

The other day, I was brave enough to hold my niece’s pet hamster. Rodents are not my thing, especially after a night in a cabin with a mouse who jumped onto you! However, this little one year old hamster was a long-haired, Syrian (aka Golden/Teddy Bear) hamster who had been overly handled by my nine year old niece. “Bean” changed my entire outlook on my potential future pet situation!

Over the past few months, I have determined that I most certainly want to have a classroom pet. I’ve been mulling over what type of pet and discussing it with different people in my life. At my last scout camp, I had a lengthy conversation with some of my senior girls who are now in upper high-school and critter enthusiasts. I had ruled out guinea pigs from a classroom experience I had with them. I found them noisy and messy. I feel much the same about birds. Snakes, lizards, spiders, and frogs are all outside of my comfort zone for holding, so they went off the list pretty quick. I really like ferrets, but the stink. Rabbits make a mess, if my memory serves me correctly. The list went on and on… I was left with just fish.

I’m not saying fish are off the list. Maybe, I might even be able to swing both once well established. I do, however. feel that the learning potential for social emotional learning is higher with a hamster that with a fish (even if I do get it from the Emotional Support Fish Store.

I found this lesson plan and have attached it just in case some of it may be adaptable for my needs one day 🐹

https://www.petsintheclassroom.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2BAFoster-1.pdf