EDUC 421 – Weekly Journal #11

Week #11 – March 17, 2022

Chapter 6 – Choose a question from the “Pause and Ponder” section on p. 110 of the text.

No matter their roles, what can teachers do to define and support

instructional agility in the school or school system?

Dear Journal, I must admit this is a chapter that I did not connect with at the start. When I think of “Instructional Agility,” I know exactly what it is. In fact, it is that one skill that I did not have a name for, but I knew I was awesome at before I became a non-certified teacher. However, the chapter takes me down a path of disconnection, and I get it: I would have a hard time explaining it past a paragraph, and I certainly have never thought to break it out in the areas of focus that the authors have.

I cannot imagine teaching without instructional agility. I have such fluidity in my teaching; it has gotten me in trouble with my scouting leadership team several times because I change the plan so often based on the kids’ needs (i.e., end activity early, add in breaks…). When I think of the BC Curriculum through the lens of instructional agility, I can only be thankful for the flexibility it provides classroom teachers in our province. We are afforded the autonomy of one year’s time, scope and sequence.

I looked at this “Pause and Ponder” as to how I could contribute to promoting instructional agility within a school; this is not an easy task that can be explicitly taught. However, I agree with the authors that practicing strategies and tools in pre-planning questions, generating engaging conversations, analyzing errors, and promoting continual thinking (p. 105.) are all great strategies for teachers to improve their instructional agility skills. Although, they suggest practicing in team meetings, conferences, and observation opportunities (p. 98.) I believe the simplest possibility exists in upholding your regular commitment to BC Educator Standards #7: Educators engage in professional learning (BCTC, 2019). I cannot imagine a Professional Development session where educators can genuinely say they walk away with zero learning. With each bit we add to our educational lexicon, we improve our ability to become more instructionally agile with our students. So, I suppose that is what I will do; I will remember to advocate to my colleagues both the benefit and their obligation.